Sunday, January 15, 2012

A Bad Day in the Dry Cabin

I wasn't really feeling the whole Dry Cabin thing yesterday.  It was -44 and I either ate something bad or had a stomach bug thing because, in the -44 degree outdoors, I needed to use the "restroom" multiple times (of course I did....).  In reality, it could have been just one long visit to the "restroom."  But that would have induced frostbite.  So it was broken up into three visits, with warm-up sessions inside each time that caused fogged-up glasses from leaving -44 degree air and stepping into 68 degree air.

When I finally could take off all the layers, I slipped off my boots and put my feet into my slippers only to find there was snow in there!  With my foggy glasses still foggy, I bent over to grab the chunk of snow and WHAM! Smashed my forehead on the mitten and hat drawer that was still open.  

Later that evening we discovered that the boiling point of propane is -44 (of course it is...).  We use propane to cook.  Our propane tank is located outside.  It was so hard to get a flame for dinner that we didn't eat until 9:30.  

While there are days that I like our dry cabin, yesterday was miserable and I was seriously wishing for modern, non-arctic living.  At least it's still beautiful where we live.  I have to stay positive, because we won't have running water for a while....


4 comments:

  1. wow... couldn't imagine -44... We went out... it was about 10... too cold already! :(
    take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh KJ! Thinking of you...love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to consider a honey bucket. :) My husband and I spent a week in a remote location in the Wrangell Mountains. It was summer, but still chilly up in those hills. We had an outhouse but it was a pretty good run down a path, and frankly - I hated that middle of the night run! So we utilized a bucket for middle of the night needs.

    A friend of mine lives in a dry cabin. She has a camp toilet indoors and uses kitty litter in it to absorb moisture and odors. It works very well in winter when you don't want to be facing -40F trips to the outhouse.

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I read about your adventure in Wrangell. My husband and I were very jealous! We do have a honey bucket - like container, but it would not have worked for this situation! Your friends' use of the camp toilet is interesting... I don't know how I feel about the kitty litter though! I'm not sure I could do it. I might prefer to brave the cold :) Stay warm! It's -42 here and I hear the ice fog is really bad in North Pole.

    ReplyDelete