Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Trip: A Summary

Hello from Fairbanks! We have arrived and are frantically trying to get everything we need before work starts on Monday. For those who don't know, I was offered and accepted a full time job in an elementary school in Fairbanks. Actually, two schools; it was two part time positions put together, which means I get benefits. So big, enormous relief on that front.

Currently we do not have internet access. I am posting from a public computer at UAF. So unfortunately I cannot post pictures at this time. However, I will provide a list of the highlights of our adventure across the continent. This is a list I kept in my writer's notebook. Enjoy!

  • Moose in an alfalfa field in Minnesota! We didn't know what it was at first, it was so out of place. First moose of the trip!
  • Hotel in St. Cloud, MN: a tornado siren sent Otis and I to the bathroom. Otis didn't like it very much!
  • Chicago: no traffic! a miracle!
  • Chili's in Canada doesn't have the same menu as the US.
  • Saw the aftermath of a tornado in North Dakota (happened while we were in St. Cloud). A combine was crumbled - folded in half and in half again. Amazing.
  • Lee saved us from a head-on collision atleast six times on Country Rd. 52 in ND. Yikes!
  • ND has corn, alfalfa, grain silos, sunflower fields (really pretty), grain silos, grain silos, trains that go to the grain silos to pick up grain, and more grain silos.
  • Crossed the boarder. She didn't even want to look at all our paperwork for Otis!
  • Regina, SK is pronounced in an unfortunate way. Lee and I giggled every time we heard someone say it.
  • Our grill is filled with dead moths. Covered. And for some reason it attracts swarms of bees.
  • Lee has trouble with the game Twenty Questions :)
  • Southern SK is gross. Tar strip mining, oil and coal destruction. Esteban, SK felt more sad than any town I'd ever been in.
  • British Columbia is gorgeous.
  • We saw a sign that said "WATERFALLS AND DINOSAURS! ATTRACTION!" It was hilarious. We greatly regret not stopping to see it.
  • The Yukon Territory is some of the most different and beautiful landscape I have ever seen. Best kept secret in North America. Kluane National Park is spectacular and other worldly. Can't wait to share pictures!
  • The Alaska Highway is long and bumpy! And people drive FAST on it! An oil truck kicked up a rock that put a massive crack in our windshield. Scary.
  • Alaska is beautiful. And GUESS WHAT??? It feels a lot like Rangeley :)

We're here and we're getting settled. But I'm feeling a bit sad too. Today is my mom's birthday and I'm missing her terribly. Looking forward to feeling like this is my home. More about Fairbanks and our little cabin soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment